GET TAX HELP (800) 536-0734

Tax Credits vs. Tax Deductions

tax credits vs tax deductions

Tax season is officially here. As you prepare to file your tax return, it might be helpful to research ways to decrease your tax liability. A popular way to do this is to claim tax credits and tax deductions. While both can help reduce your overall tax liability, they operate in distinct ways. In this article, we’ll break down the fundamental differences between tax credits and tax deductions, helping you understand how each can impact your financial situation. 

What is a tax credit? 

A tax credit is a dollar-for-dollar reduction of your income. They are created by the federal and state governments to encourage certain behaviors that benefit the economy or environment. For example, there is a solar tax credit available to taxpayers who purchase solar panels for their home. In 2024, it’s worth 30% of your total solar installation cost through 2032. There is also a federal adoption tax credit that helps offset 50% of your adoption costs. These credits reward behaviors that the government deems beneficial to society. The most popular tax credits in 2024 are the Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit, American Opportunity Tax Credit, and Premium Tax Credit. 

How do tax credits reduce my tax bill? 

As mentioned, a tax credit is a dollar-for-dollar reduction of your income. Let’s say your tax liability is $1,000 but you are eligible for a $750 tax credit. This would reduce your tax liability to $250. There are two main types of credits: refundable and nonrefundable. Refundable credits allow you to receive the full amount of the credit, even if it exceeds your tax liability. For example, if your tax bill is $1,000 and you claim $1,200 in refundable tax credits, you will receive a $200 refund. Nonrefundable credits do not have the same perk. If those same tax credits are nonrefundable, you would simply owe $0 and would not receive the additional $200 in your tax refund.

However, there is also a partially refundable tax credit that offers a sort of middle ground. This type of tax credit allows taxpayers to receive a refund for a portion of the credit amount even if the credit exceeds their tax liability. For example, the American Opportunity Tax Credit allows you to claim up to $2,500 for qualified education expenses. However, only $1,000 of the credit is refundable. This means you can either reduce your tax liability by $2,500 or receive up to $1,000 in a tax refund if your total liability is less than the credit amount. 

What is a tax deduction? 

A tax deduction is a reduction of taxable income to lower your tax bill. You can lower your tax bill through deductions using one of two methods: claiming the standard deduction or itemizing your deductions. The standard deduction is a fixed dollar amount determined by the IRS each year that can be subtracted from your taxable income. Itemizing your deductions is more work and requires substantiation. However, it allows you to deduct expenses like student loan interest, mortgage interest, retirement contributions, medical expenses, investment losses and more.   

How do tax deductions reduce my tax bill? 

Any taxpayer can claim the standard deduction. In fact, most taxpayers do because it results in a lower tax liability. The standard deduction for single filers is $13,850 for the 2023 tax year. This means that if you are a single filer with a taxable income of $50,000, you can take the $13,850 standard deduction. Doing so would reduce your taxable income to $36,150. If you itemize deductions, you will need to tally up all your eligible expenses on Schedule A of Form 1040. This typically only makes sense to do if you have enough expenses to exceed the standard deduction

 For example, if last year you had a lot of medical expenses, paid a lot of mortgage interest, or incurred disaster losses that were not insured, itemizing might be the best option for you. Finally, there is something called an above-the-line deduction, which is essentially a deduction that you can take to decrease your tax bill even further after taking the standard deduction. You can calculate these using Schedule 1 on Form 1040. Some examples are retirement contributions, HSA contributions, self-employment tax, health insurance premiums for self-employed, business expenses, and student loan interest.  

Tax Relief During Tax Season 

The bottom line is that both tax credits and deductions can help lower your tax bill. Many taxpayers may wonder which is better. Tax credits have a slight edge since they directly reduce taxes dollar-for-dollar whereas tax deductions will depend on your marginal tax bracket. Understanding these differences is crucial for effective tax planning and optimizing your financial situation. Figuring out how to file your return yourself can be tricky and intimidating. Consider consulting with a tax professional to ensure you take full advantage of available deductions and credits based on your unique circumstances. Our team of qualified and dedicated tax professionals can help.  

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation 

Where Do My Tax Dollars Go?

Where Do My Tax Dollars Go?

Every tax season, many of us are exposed to just how much of our income goes to the government. Many often wonder where tax dollars go. Taxes play a crucial role in sustaining a nation’s infrastructure, services, and public welfare. However, understanding where your tax money go can be a complex and often misunderstood aspect of government finance. In this article, we will explore the allocation of tax dollars, shedding light on the various sectors and services funded by taxpayer contributions. 

Social Programs 

A significant portion of tax dollars is directed towards social programs aimed at improving the quality of life for citizens. This includes funding for healthcare, education, and social assistance programs. Subsidies for low-income individuals and families, as well as financial aid for students, are vital components of this category. In 2023, 21% of the national budget, or $1.4 trillion, went to Social Security alone. Another $1.5 trillion went to health insurance programs and $477 billion funded veteran and government retiree programs. 

National Defense 

Ensuring national safety and security is a top priority, and a considerable portion of taxes pays for national defense. This includes funding for the military, intelligence agencies, and defense research. In 2023, an estimated $806 billion was expected to be spent on defense, which equated to 13% of the $6.3 trillion budget. The costs associated with maintaining a robust defense infrastructure, including personnel salaries, equipment, and technological advancements, contribute to this significant expenditure. 

Infrastructure Development 

Investing in infrastructure is essential for economic growth and the well-being of a society. In short, tax dollars go towards building and maintaining roads, bridges, public transportation, and other critical infrastructure projects. This allocation aims to enhance connectivity, facilitate trade, and improve overall living standards. 

Public Safety and Law Enforcement 

Maintaining law and order is another key area of government spending. Taxes fund police departments, fire services, emergency response units, and the judicial system. This allocation ensures the safety of citizens and the enforcement of laws that contribute to a stable and secure society. 

Debt Servicing 

Governments may accumulate debt over time to fund various projects or cover budget shortfalls. A portion of tax dollars is allocated to servicing the national deficit. Managing debt is crucial to maintaining a stable economy and preventing excessive financial burdens on future generations. At this point, the United States’ national deficit is at $34 trillion and our tax dollars help cover the interest payments.  

Foreign Aid 

Some tax dollars fund foreign aid programs, aiming to address global issues such as poverty, disease, and humanitarian crises. Foreign aid can also support diplomatic efforts and foster international cooperation. 

Tax Help for the 2024 Filing Season 

Understanding where tax dollars go is essential for citizens to make informed decisions and participate in the democratic process. In fact, by recognizing the diverse areas of government spending, individuals can engage in discussions about fiscal policies and advocate for the allocation of resources that align with their priorities. Transparent communication from governments regarding budgetary decisions is crucial in building trust and ensuring that tax dollars are used efficiently and effectively to benefit society. Optima Tax Relief is the nation’s leading tax resolution firm with over $1 billion in resolved tax liabilities.  

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation 

Vehicles for Business Use

vehicles for business use

In the world of business, the use of vehicles is a crucial decision that directly impacts both operational efficiency and financial considerations. Whether it’s delivering products, attending client meetings, or managing on-site projects, vehicles are indispensable assets for businesses aiming for success. This article delves into the essentials of utilizing vehicles for business purposes, exploring the types of vehicles that qualify, understanding the standard mileage rate, and the process of deducting actual expenses.

Which Vehicles Qualify for Business Use?  

Businesses must carefully consider the types of vehicles that align with their operational needs. While cars, trucks, and vans are common choices, some industries may require specialized vehicles such as delivery trucks, service vans, or utility vehicles. Understanding the specific needs of the business is essential in selecting vehicles that qualify for both practical use and tax benefits. Cars, SUVs and trucks used for business activities qualify for tax deductions. However, if the vehicle is used as equipment, it is not eligible. This can include dump trucks and cranes. Additionally, the vehicle is also ineligible if it used for hire, like taxis or airport transport vans.  

Standard Mileage Rate: A Simplified Approach

There are two methods for calculating your deductible car expenses: using the standard mileage rate or calculating the actual expenses incurred. The IRS provides a standard mileage rate that businesses can use to calculate the deductible costs associated with using a vehicle for business purposes. This simplified method considers mileage driven for business and can be a straightforward way to claim deductions.

The standard mileage rate allows employees and self-employed individuals to deduct 67 cents per mile in 2024. These miles should only be counted if it they was were driven for business use only. To calculate your deduction, you would multiply the number of miles by the IRS standard mileage rate. For example, let’s say you drove 6,000 miles for business use. 

6,000 miles x 67 cents (2024 rate) = $4,020 

Deducting Actual Expenses: Detailed but Potentially Rewarding 

While the standard mileage rate offers simplicity, some businesses may find it more advantageous to deduct actual expenses incurred during vehicle use. This method involves tracking various costs, including fuel, maintenance, insurance, and depreciation. While it requires more detailed record-keeping, it allows for a potentially higher deduction, making it a preferred choice for businesses with significant vehicle-related expenses. Using this method, you may also deduct lease payments, auto loan interest, registration fees, garage rent, and parking and toll fees.

Calculating actual expenses for a business vehicle involves tracking and accounting for various costs associated with the vehicle’s use. Only expenses related to business use are eligible for deduction. Keep a mileage log or use tracking tools to record the purpose and mileage of each trip. You would then calculate your business-use percentage of the vehicle to find the amount you can deduct.  

Using the same example, let’s say your total mileage for the year was 10,000 miles and 6,000 of those miles were for business use. Your eligible vehicle expenses for the year totaled $8,000. If you calculated actual vehicle expenses, you could deduct $4,800.  

6,000 miles / 10,000 miles = 60% business use  

60% x $8,000 = $4,800   

When comparing the two methods, it would be more beneficial to use the actual expenses method rather than using the standard mileage rate. A good rule of thumb is to use the actual expenses method when you have vehicles with high operating costs and the standard mileage rate when you use vehicles with lower operating costs.

Record-Keeping Best Practices 

Regardless of the chosen method, meticulous record-keeping is paramount when it comes to business vehicle deductions. Maintaining a comprehensive log of mileage, expenses, and the purpose of each trip is crucial for compliance with IRS regulations. Various apps and tools are available to simplify this process, ensuring that businesses can substantiate their claims in the event of an audit. 

Considerations for Electric and Hybrid Vehicles 

As businesses increasingly focus on sustainability, the choice of electric or hybrid vehicles deserves attention. The IRS provides incentives and credits for businesses that incorporate eco-friendly vehicles into their fleets. Understanding the tax advantages associated with these choices can further enhance the overall financial benefits of business vehicle use. 

Strategic Fleet Management for Business Growth 

Beyond tax considerations, strategically managing a fleet of vehicles is integral to business growth. Regular maintenance, efficient routing, and optimizing vehicle use contribute to cost savings and enhanced operational efficiency. Businesses should adopt a holistic approach to fleet management that aligns with their long-term goals and sustainability objectives. 

Tax Relief for Businesses 

The rules for taking the standard mileage rate or calculating actual vehicle expenses are mostly straightforward. Choosing the right vehicles, understanding the standard mileage rate, and navigating the process of deducting actual expenses are critical elements that businesses should master to maximize both efficiency and financial benefits. By strategically managing their vehicle use, businesses can drive not only towards their destinations but also towards sustainable growth and success. Optima Tax Relief is the nation’s leading tax resolution firm with over $1 billion in resolved tax liabilities.  

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation 

Is My Side Business a Hobby or Small Business?

Is My Side Business a Hobby or Small Business?

The desire or need for extra income has become increasingly prevalent. Running a small business can be a rewarding venture, allowing individuals to turn their passion into a source of income. However, it’s crucial to be aware of the Internal Revenue Service’s (IRS) perspective on small businesses, especially when they may be classified as hobbies. This distinction holds significant implications for tax treatment and deductions. In this article, we’ll explore the criteria the IRS uses to differentiate between a legitimate small business and a hobby. 

What Does the IRS Consider a Small Business? 

The IRS considers an activity a business if it’s “carried on with the reasonable expectation of earning a profit.” If you consider your activity a business, then you can deduct certain expenses on Schedule C. During the beginning stages of your activity, you may incur several “startup” costs like tools, materials, equipment, etc. that you can deduct during tax season. You may even be able to deduct the loss against your regular income. Some expenses are also limited in how they can be deducted, so it’s best to check with a tax preparer for clarification.  

The Hobby Loss Rule  

If your side activity doesn’t qualify as a business, it can be treated as a hobby. For example, if the activity is pursued for personal enjoyment or recreation, the IRS may classify it as a hobby. As of 2018, the IRS does not allow hobby expenses to be deducted from hobby income.   

Internal Revenue Code Section 183: Activities Not Engaged in for Profit officially lays out a guide to determine if you are running a business or engaging in a hobby.  

  1. Does the time and effort put into the activity indicate an intention to make a profit?  
  1. Do you depend on income from the activity?  
  1. If there are losses, are they due to circumstances beyond your control or did they occur in the start-up phase of the business?  
  1. Have you changed methods of operation to improve profitability?  
  1. Do you have the knowledge needed to carry on the activity as a successful business?  
  1. Have you made a profit in similar activities in the past?  
  1. Does the activity make a profit in some years?  
  1. Do you expect to make a profit in the future from the appreciation of assets used in the activity?  

If you answer yes to several of these questions, it’s likely the IRS will view your activity as a business. You can also use the profitability test to determine if your activity is a business. Typically, the IRS will determine this by looking at your business activity to see if you earned a profit in three of the last five years, including the current tax year. If you did in fact earn a profit, the IRS will consider it a for-profit business.  

History of Business Losses 

A consistent history of losses in the business may raise concerns. Legitimate businesses are expected to show a potential for profitability over time. If there is a pattern of sustained losses, the IRS may question the true intent behind the business. If the IRS deems your business is a hobby, you will lose the privilege of deducting related expenses.  

Tax Relief for Hobbyists and Business Owners  

It is the responsibility of the taxpayer to know if they are operating a business or engaging in a hobby. Claiming ignorance will not be an acceptable excuse for underreporting income with the IRS. Keeping detailed records of income and expenses related to hobbies and businesses is essential to remaining compliant with tax law. Seeking professional advice can also be beneficial to navigate the complexities of IRS regulations. Optima Tax Relief is the nation’s leading tax resolution firm with over $1 billion in resolved tax liabilities.  

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation 

What is the Qualified Business Income Deduction? 

What is the Qualified Business Income Deduction? 

In recent years, the tax landscape for businesses has undergone significant changes. One notable addition is the Qualified Business Income (QBI) deduction. Enacted as part of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) in 2017, the QBI deduction provides a valuable tax break for eligible businesses and their owners. This deduction aims to stimulate economic growth by providing relief to small business owners and entrepreneurs. In this article, we will explore the key aspects of the Qualified Business Income deduction, its eligibility criteria, and the potential benefits it offers. 

Understanding the Qualified Business Income Deduction 

The Qualified Business Income deduction allows eligible business owners to deduct up to 20% of their qualified business income from their taxable income. This deduction is available to individuals that own pass-through entities. These include sole proprietorships, partnerships, S corporations, and limited liability companies (LLCs). 

Qualified Business Income is generally defined as the net amount of income, gains, deductions, and losses from any qualified trade or business. It excludes certain investment-related income such as capital gains, dividends, and interest income. The deduction is designed to provide tax relief to small business owners. It also encourage investment in businesses that drive economic growth. 

Eligibility Criteria 

The QBI deduction can be a significant tax benefit. However, it’s essential to understand the eligibility criteria to take advantage of this provision. Several factors determine whether a business owner qualifies for the deduction: 

  • Business Structure: The QBI deduction is generally available to businesses organized as sole proprietorships, partnerships, S corporations, and LLCs. 
  • Qualified Income: While QBI basically refers to a business’s net profit, there are some income types that are not included. These include capital gains or losses, interest income, foreign income, dividends, and some wage and guaranteed payments made to shareholders or partners. 
  • Taxable Income Limitations: The deduction is subject to limitations based on the taxpayer’s taxable income. Total 2023 taxable income must be under $182,100 for single filers or under $364,200 for joint filers. After this, the deduction will phase out with a cap at $232,100 for single filers and $464,200 for joint filers. Taxpayers looking to claim the full deduction for tax year 2024 must have income under $191,950 if filing single or $383,900 if filing jointly. This does not just include business income, and all other income is taken into account when calculating taxable income.  
  • Qualified Trade or Business: If you find yourself over the income limits, the IRS will look into your specific trade to determine if you can receive a partial deduction. For example, certain specified service trades or businesses, such as health, law, accounting, and consulting, may face limitations or exclusions. 
  • Wage and Property Limitations: For certain high-income taxpayers and specified service trades or businesses, additional limitations based on wages and business property may apply. This stipulation will apply to the most complicated cases seeking the QBI deduction. Seek help from a tax professional if you are a high earner hoping to claim the QBI deduction. 

How to Claim the Qualified Business Income Deduction 

Claiming the Qualified Business Income (QBI) deduction can be done by completing Form 8995, Qualified Business Income Deduction Simplified Computation. If your tax situation is a bit more complicated, you’ll need to use Form 8995-A, Qualified Business Income Deduction. This may include someone who wants to claim the QBI deduction but has income above the threshold.  

Benefits of the QBI Deduction 

The Qualified Business Income deduction offers several advantages for eligible business owners: 

  1. Tax Savings: The primary benefit is the reduction of taxable income by up to 20%, leading to significant tax savings. 
  1. Encourages Investment: The deduction encourages investment in businesses by providing a tax incentive for entrepreneurs and investors to actively participate in qualifying trades or businesses. 
  1. Support for Small Businesses: Small businesses stand to gain the most from the QBI deduction. It helps them retain more income for growth and expansion. 
  1. Flexibility in Business Structure: The QBI deduction provides business owners with flexibility in choosing their business structure. 

Tax Help for Business Owners 

The Qualified Business Income deduction is a valuable tax provision that can substantially benefit eligible business owners. Understanding the intricacies of the deduction, including eligibility criteria and limitations, is crucial for maximizing its potential advantages. By leveraging the QBI deduction, businesses can strengthen their financial positions and contribute to the overall economic vitality of the entrepreneurial landscape. Unless the deduction is extended, it will no longer be available to claim after 2025. Businesses should take advantage of the deduction while they can. As with any tax-related matter, it is advisable for business owners to consult with qualified tax professionals to ensure compliance with current tax laws and to explore strategic approaches to optimize their tax positions. Optima Tax Relief is the nation’s leading tax resolution firm with over $1 billion in resolved tax liabilities.  

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation 

Federal Tax Treatment of S Corporations

federal tax treatment of s corporations

S Corporations (S Corps) are a popular business structure that combines the limited liability features of a corporation with the pass-through taxation of a partnership. This unique structure provides owners, also known as shareholders, with certain tax advantages compared to traditional C Corporations. In this article, we will explore the intricacies of the federal tax treatment of S-Corps. 

What Are S Corporations? 

S Corps are a specific type of business entity that combines the limited liability protection of a corporation with the pass-through taxation of a partnership or sole proprietorship. This business structure is named after Subchapter S of the Internal Revenue Code, which outlines the rules governing S Corporations. In addition to limited liability and pass-through taxation, the main features of an S Corp include owner restrictions and a single class of stock. 

Election and Eligibility 

To be taxed as an S Corporation, a business must first qualify and elect to be treated as such by filing Form 2553, Election by a Small Business Corporation, with the IRS. There are strict eligibility criteria, including having no more than 100 shareholders, all of whom must be individuals, estates, certain trusts, or tax-exempt organizations. Shareholders cannot include partnerships, corporations, or non-resident aliens. Additionally, the corporation must be a domestic entity and cannot have multiple classes of stock. Finally, the corporation must not be an ineligible corporation, such as a financial institution, insurance company, or domestic international sales corporation.  

Pass-Through Taxation 

One of the primary advantages of S Corporations is their pass-through taxation. This means that the corporation itself does not pay income taxes, like a C Corporation. Instead, the profits and losses “pass through” to the individual shareholders, who report this income on their personal tax returns. This helps avoid the double taxation that C Corporations face, where both the corporation and the shareholders are taxed on profits. However, this may vary depending on which state you do business in. 

To file a tax return for an S Corporation, use Form 1120-S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation. S-Corp tax returns are due on the 15th day of the third month after the corporation’s tax year. Businesses should submit Form 1120-S with Schedule K-1, Partner’s Share of Income, Deductions, Credits, etc. A Schedule K-1 form is needed for each individual shareholder to report their own individual profit and loss for the year. Shareholders of S Corporations then report their share of the corporation’s income on their personal tax returns. This income is subject to individual income tax rates. Unlike traditional employees, shareholders are also required to pay self-employment tax on their share of the S Corporation’s net income. This tax covers Social Security and Medicare taxes. 

Distributions and Tax Consequences 

When a company elects S Corp status, members are classified as employees and collect a salary. One of the biggest advantages that S Corporations has over a partnership is that it can distribute profits to shareholders in the form of dividends or distributions. Unlike a typical salary, distributions are not subject to the 15.3% self-employment tax. For example, let’s say a shareholder is paid a $50,000 salary and another $20,000 in dividends. Only the $50,000 would be subject to self-employment taxes, while the dividends are subject to regular income tax. Note that the IRS may view low salaries and high distributions as a method of avoiding taxes. Shareholders should keep this in mind when taking distributions. 


Maintaining compliance with relevant laws and regulations is crucial for the smooth operation of any business entity, including S Corporations. If an S Corporation fails to remain compliant, it may face various consequences. The IRS may impose penalties and interest for late or inaccurate filings. If an S Corp does not follow the IRS’s strict guidelines, it can revoke S Corporation status. To avoid these potential consequences, S Corporations should stay informed about relevant laws and regulations, maintain accurate financial records, and fulfill their filing and reporting obligations. 

Tax Help for S Corporations 

Understanding how S Corporations are taxed is crucial for shareholders looking to make informed financial decisions. The combination of pass-through taxation, limited liability, and potential tax benefits makes the S Corporation an attractive option for many small to mid-sized businesses. However, navigating the complexities of S Corporation taxation requires careful consideration and often the assistance of tax professionals to ensure compliance with tax laws and optimization of financial outcomes. Optima Tax Relief is the nation’s leading tax resolution firm with over a decade of experience helping taxpayers with tough tax situations. 

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation