GET TAX HELP (800) 536-0734

Can I Claim an Energy Tax Credit? 

Can I Claim an Energy Tax Credit? 

Amid growing concerns over climate change, the promotion of sustainable energy practices has become paramount. Governments worldwide are increasingly turning to policy measures to incentivize individuals and businesses to adopt renewable energy sources and reduce their carbon footprint. Among these measures, energy tax credits have emerged as a powerful tool to encourage investment in clean energy technologies. Here’s a breakdown of available energy tax credits, including their eligibility requirements and implications for the future of energy sustainability. 

Energy Efficient Home Improvement Credit 

The energy efficient home improvement credit provides financial assistance to homeowners for eligible upgrades undertaken between 2023 and 2032. Homeowners can receive a maximum credit of $1,200 for general home improvements and up to $2,000 for the installation of heat pumps or biomass stoves or boilers. You can claim the energy efficient home improvement credit by submitting Form 5695, Residential Energy Credits and attaching it to your tax return.   

Eligible Projects 

You are eligible to receive a tax credit for up to 30% of the expenses incurred on qualified home improvements. Some of these include exterior doors, windows, skylights, insulation, central ACs, water heaters, furnaces, boilers, heat pumps, biomass stoves, biomass boilers, and home energy audits. Although the maximum credit for many of these costs is capped at $1,200, certain upgrades may have additional restrictions or limitations. 

For example, the maximum you can claim for a qualifying energy audit is $150 per year. You can claim $250 per exterior door, up to $500. However, insulation has no additional limit outside the total $1,200 cap. Additionally, labor costs do not count toward the credit, unless it’s the cost of installing a heat pump, water heater, biomass stove, or boiler.  

Residential Clean Energy Credit 

The residential clean energy tax credit, commonly known as the solar tax credit, covers expenses related to equipment and installation of solar projects, biomass fuel, fuel cells, and others. The tax credit stands at 30% of qualifying expenses. However, the actual percentage you can claim depends on the year the system was activated.  

  • 2017-2019: 30% 
  • 2020-2021: 26% 
  • 2022-2032: 30% 
  • 2033: 26% 
  • 2034: 22% 

Like the energy efficient home improvement credit, the residential clean energy credit is not refundable. This means the credit amount cannot exceed the total amount of taxes you owe. Unlike the energy efficient home improvement credit, the residential clean energy credit can carry forward to the following year. In other words, any unused portion of the credit can reduce your tax bill in the next tax year. To claim this credit, you can file Form 5695 with your tax return. 

Eligible Projects 

The IRS has laid out specific eligibility requirements for the residential clean energy credit. First, the project must be in your home in the U.S. This can include a house, houseboat, mobile home, co-op apartment, condo, or manufactured home. However, solar, wind and geothermal projects do not need to be in your primary residence. Second, you must own the system. You are ineligible if it was leased or obtained with a power purchase agreement. You must have placed it in service by 2017 or later. Earlier projects do not qualify. Finally, it’s important to note that not all costs associated with installation is eligible.  

Electric Vehicle Tax Credit 

The EV tax credit is a federal tax incentive aimed at encouraging the adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) by reducing the cost for consumers. The eligibility requirements have changed quite a bit in recent years so it’s particularly important to stay updated on any news regarding this tax credit. The credit is worth up to $7,500 for new EVs and up to $4,000 for used ones. In 2024, taxpayers can opt to claim the credit on their tax return with Form 8936 or transfer the credit to their dealership to instantly receive a cash discount equal to the credit value.  

Vehicle Eligibility 

There are a few requirements the EVs must meet to be eligible for this credit. One involves a price cap. Vans, SUVs and pickup trucks may not have MSRPs over $80,000. Other vehicles cannot have MSRPs over $55,000. Used vehicles have caps of $25,000. Another requirement involves where the EV was finally assembled. To qualify, the EV must have had final assembly in North America. If you’re unsure how to find this out, you check the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s VIN database. 

Used vehicles have their own unique set of additional requirements. Some include that the car must be at least two years old, it must weigh less than 14,000 pounds, and some battery requirements. The IRS recommends taxpayers visit for the most updated list of eligible EVs. Also, be sure to confirm with dealerships about vehicles because some trim levels do not qualify for the credit. 

Taxpayer Eligibility 

Taxpayers are limited to certain modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) to qualify. The income limits for new EVs are: 

  • Single/Married Filing Separately: $150,000 
  • Head of Household: $225,000 
  • Married Filing Jointly: $300,000 

The income limits for used EVs are: 

  • Single/Married Filing Separately: $75,000 
  • Head of Household: $225,000 
  • Married Filing Jointly: $300,000 

You can use your MAGI from the year the car is delivered or the year prior. This will allow you extra wiggle room to qualify.  

Tax Help in 2024 

Energy tax credits play a vital role in incentivizing the adoption of renewable energy sources and energy-efficient technologies. By providing financial incentives to individuals and businesses, these credits help overcome barriers to investment in clean energy solutions and accelerate the transition towards a low-carbon future. However, these tax credits can be difficult to understand. Consulting a tax professional can help ease the process of determining eligibility. Optima Tax Relief is the nation’s leading tax resolution firm with over a decade of experience helping taxpayers with tough tax situations.   

Contact Us Today for a No-Obligation Free Consultation 

Tax Guide for Clergy Members

Tax Guide for Clergy Members

Tax season can be a stressful time for many individuals, but for clergy members, it often comes with its own set of unique challenges and considerations. Whether you’re a minister, priest, rabbi, imam, or any other religious leader, understanding the intricacies of tax laws can help you maximize your deductions and ensure compliance with the IRS. Here is a brief tax guide for clergy members to help navigate tax season with confidence. 

Who Qualifies as a Minister? 

The IRS states that any licensed, commissioned, or ordained minister can perform ministerial duties, and be taxed accordingly. They use the term minister as a broad term to describe any religious leader.  

Know Your Tax Status 

Clergy members are considered employees for federal income tax purposes. However, they are treated as self-employed individuals for Social Security and Medicare taxes known as self-employment taxes. If you’re a clergy member, this dual status can affect how you report your income and claim deductions, so it’s crucial to understand tax status accurately.  

Report All Income 

As a clergy member, you may receive income from various sources, including salary, honoraria, fees for services, and donations. Make sure to report all sources of income accurately on your tax return, including income received in the form of cash or non-cash gifts. Some of your income will be reported on Form 1040 and some on Schedule SE.  

Housing Allowance 

One significant benefit for clergy members is the housing allowance, which allows you to exclude the fair rental value of a home (including furnishings and utilities) provided as part of your compensation from taxable income. However, any amount that exceeds the fair rental value should be included as income on Schedule C.  

Love Offering 

Love offering is any funds gathered from congregants by passing around a collection plate during religious service. When the offering is for a minister specifically, and not the church itself, this is considered gross income. The one exception in which this income does not need to be reported is if the minister is receiving the funds as a retirement or farewell gift.  

Missionary Trip Income 

Sometimes a clergy member may be sent by the church to another country to do missionary work. Any income earned during this time should be reported. However, keep in mind that taxes may also be owed to the foreign country. If this is the case, you can take the foreign income exclusion or foreign tax credit. There is also a foreign housing exclusion you can claim. These credits can help avoid double taxation. 

How to Pay Taxes as a Clergy Member 

As mentioned, the dual status can make tax filing tricky for clergy members. There are a few key things to remember when filing your return. 

  • Tax Withholding: Even though you are partly considered an employee for tax purposes, the church likely will not withhold taxes from your paycheck. You may be able to request that they do. That said, you will likely need to pay estimated tax payments each quarter. 
  • Self-Employment Tax: Some items will be included when calculating your federal tax bill and be excluded when calculating your self-employment tax, or vice versa. For example, housing allowances can be excluded from gross income on your federal return. However, they do need to be included when calculating self-employment tax.  
  • Schedule C: Schedule C is a form used by self-employed individuals. You can use this as a partially self-employed individual. However, you may not include any church expenses on Schedule C. You can only include business expenses you had as a self-employed clergy member. Examples include costs associated with officiating weddings, offering funeral services, and others. 

Tax Exemptions 

You may be able to request an exemption from paying self-employment taxes. To do this, you must meet certain qualifications, including: 

  • You must reject public insurance for religious or conscientious reasons 
  • You must have had net earnings of at least $400 for at least two tax years 

If you meet these terms, you can file Form 4361, Application for Exemption From Self-Employment Tax for Use by Ministers, Members of Religious Orders and Christian Science Practitioners. You must file by the tax deadline. However, take caution as this exemption is not revocable. This means that if approved, you will no longer be eligible to receive Social Security benefits.  

Tax Help for Clergy Members 

By following these tips and staying informed about tax laws affecting clergy members, you can navigate tax season with confidence and peace of mind. Remember to keep accurate records, take advantage of available deductions and benefits, and seek professional assistance when needed to ensure that your tax reporting is accurate and compliant. With careful planning and attention to detail, you can make tax season a little less stressful and focus on what matters most – serving your congregation and community. Optima Tax Relief is the nation’s leading tax resolution firm with over a decade of experience helping taxpayers with tough tax situations.   

Contact Us Today for a No-Obligation Free Consultation