Get Tax Help  (800) 536-0734

Home » Tax News

Tax News Blog

Should I File a Tax Extension?

Should I File a Tax Extension?

The tax filing deadline is just around the corner. If you need more time to prepare your tax return, you can file a tax extension. While a tax extension won’t give you more time to pay your taxes, it will allow a few more months to file your tax return without receiving a failure-to-file penalty. Here’s an overview of how tax extensions work and how to file one.   

What is a Tax Extension? 

The IRS allows taxpayers to file for a tax extension, which gives them more time to prepare their tax returns. If approved for a tax extension, the new tax deadline would be October 15, 2024. You can file for a tax extension for any reason, and the IRS will approve it as long as you submit Form 4868 by the April 15th tax deadline. While some states accept federal tax extension forms, others have their own requirements for obtaining an extension. Some states like California, Wisconsin, and Alabama offer automatic extensions, which means you don’t have to file a form. Other states require you to request an extension. You can check with your own state tax authority for more information on this.  

Does a Tax Extension Delay My Tax Payments? 

While a tax extension won’t delay the deadline to pay taxes, it will allow a few more months to file your tax return without receiving a failure-to-file penalty. That said, you might be wondering how much tax to pay if you aren’t sure how much you will owe, if any at all. In this case, you’ll need to estimate the amount of tax you will owe and pay that amount by April 15. If you do not, the IRS will begin to charge you interest on the balance owed, plus penalties. The failure-to-pay penalty is 0.5% of the tax owed after April 15, for every month or part of a month the tax remains unpaid, up to 25%.   

Calculating Estimated Tax

To calculate your estimated tax payment, you’ll need to first calculate your taxable income and then subtract tax deductions, or the standard deduction. The amount leftover should be an estimate of your taxable income for the year. Then you can apply your tax rate determined by your tax bracket, which is based on your taxable income and filing status. This should help you find the amount of tax owed for the year. 

Tax withholding should cover most, if not all, of this amount. If it does not, you can offset this amount by claiming tax credits you are eligible for. The tax remaining should be paid at the April tax deadline. If you overpay, you will receive a tax refund when you file before the October extension deadline. If you underpay, you could owe the balance, plus an underpayment penalty.  

Tax Underpayment Penalty 

The IRS underpayment penalty is a fee assessed on taxpayers who do not pay enough taxes during the tax year. While interest rates can change, the current rate for is 8% for individuals and 10% for corporations.   There are a couple ways to avoid the underpayment penalty. The first is to owe less than $1,000 when you file your return. Alternatively, you could pay either 90% of the current year’s tax or 100% of last year’s tax, whichever is less. However, if your AGI exceeds $150,000, you should pay the lesser of 90% of the current year’s tax or 110% of last year’s tax. Doing so should help you avoid the underpayment penalty.  

The IRS also offers underpayment waivers for some scenarios including: 

  • Taxpayers who were U.S. citizens or residents for the prior tax year and did not owe any taxes for that year 
  • Taxpayers who missed a required payment because of a casualty event, disaster, or other unusual circumstance 
  • The tax underpayment was a result of reasonable cause and not willful neglect 
  • Taxpayers who retired after reaching age 62 during the current or preceding tax year 
  • Taxpayers who became disabled during the tax year for which estimated payments were owed or during the preceding tax year 

Should I File a Tax Extension?  

If you are certain that you cannot file your tax return by the April 15 deadline this year, then you should at the very least file a tax extension before the tax deadline. This can immediately save you the trouble of dealing with a failure-to-file penalty. The current failure-to-file penalty can be up to 25% of the tax due. This penalty will not be charged if you file an extension, but it will be if you do not file a return by the extension deadline of October 15. Additionally, you should make sure you pay estimated taxes by the April 15 deadline to avoid the failure-to-pay penalty and the underpayment penalty. 

Filing a tax extension can be very helpful if you are still awaiting important tax documents, need some documents corrected, or just simply do not have time to file before the deadline. If you are wondering if you should file an extension because you owe taxes and you are unable to pay, filing an extension may not be a good idea. Instead, you might consider getting a payment plan or installment agreement set up with the IRS. We know dealing with the IRS on your own can be intimidating. Optima Tax Relief has over a decade of experience helping taxpayers get back on track with their tax debt.  

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation 

What To Do If Your Tax Refund is Stolen

What To Do If Your Tax Refund is Stolen

Tax season is a time of anticipation for many individuals, with the hope of receiving a tax refund. However, the unfortunate reality is that tax refunds, like any valuable document, can be vulnerable to theft. If you find yourself in the distressing situation of having your tax refund stolen, it’s crucial to take swift action to minimize potential losses and protect your finances. 

How Can Thieves Steal Your Tax Refund? 

Thieves can employ various tactics to steal your tax refund, ranging from sophisticated identity theft schemes to opportunistic acts of theft. Here are some common methods that thieves may use: 

Identity Theft 

Identity theft occurs when someone obtains your personal information. This can include your Social Security number, date of birth, without your consent. Armed with this information, thieves can fraudulently file a tax return in your name and claim a refund. They may also use stolen identities to intercept tax refund checks or direct deposits. 

Phishing Scams 

Phishing scams involve fraudulent emails, phone calls, or text messages that appear to be from legitimate organizations, such as the IRS or tax preparation services. These messages often prompt recipients to provide sensitive information. 

Mail Theft 

Tax refund checks and other sensitive documents sent through the mail are vulnerable to theft if they are intercepted by criminals. Thieves may target residential mailboxes, community mailrooms, or postal drop-off locations to steal mail containing tax refunds or other valuable documents. 

Data Breaches 

Data breaches occur when cybercriminals gain unauthorized access to databases containing personal information, such as those maintained by government agencies, financial institutions, or businesses. In some cases, thieves may exploit data breaches to obtain individuals’ tax-related information. They may then use it to file fraudulent tax returns or intercept tax refunds. 

If Your Tax Refund is Stolen, Act Immediately 

Discovering that your tax refund has been stolen can be alarming, but it’s important to remain calm and act promptly. However, note that you must wait a reasonable amount of time before contacting the IRS about your stolen refund. If you opted for direct deposit, you’ll need to wait until 5 days after the usual 21-day period. If you opted for a paper check, you will need to wait six weeks before contacting the IRS. After these waiting periods, here’s what you should do. 

Report the Fraud 

Your first step should be to report the fraud to the Federal Trade Commision via In addition, you may need to file IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit. This notifies the IRS that your identity was stolen to file a phony tax return.  

Notify the IRS 

You can ask the IRS to trace your refund by calling their Refund Hotline at 1-800-829-1954. This hotline is specifically for those who file as single, married filing separately, or head of household. If you file jointly with your spouse, you will need to complete Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund via mail.  

If you chose direct deposit, your bank will receive a letter within six weeks from the Bureau of Fiscal Service to verify where the refund was sent. Paper check refunds work differently. If the check has not been cashed yet, you’ll simply receive a replacement within six weeks. However, if the original check was fraudulently cashed, the Bureau of Fiscal Service will send you a claim package within six weeks. It will then be up to them to determine if the check was forged and notify the IRS if a replacement check should be sent to you. If they deny your claim, you may appeal. 

Protect Your Identity 

Tax fraud and scams only get more sophisticated each year, so safeguarding your identity is more important than ever. One of the ways you can do this is to get an Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN). This six-digit number prevents thieves from filing a tax return with your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). IP PINS must be renewed every year for added security. If your identity is stolen, you should also update your passwords as the thief could’ve obtained this information. Be sure to use strong passwords and avoid using the same password for all accounts. Finally, always be on the lookout for scams aiming to steal your identity. Never interact with suspicious calls, emails, texts, or other forms of communication.  

Tax Help for the 2024 Filing Season 

Discovering that your tax refund has been stolen can be a distressing experience, but prompt action and vigilance can help mitigate the potential impact. By reporting the theft and securing a replacement check, you can safeguard your finances and minimize the risk of identity theft. Additionally, taking proactive measures such as opting for direct deposit and securing your mailbox can help prevent future incidents of theft. Remember, staying informed and proactive is key to protecting yourself against financial fraud and identity theft. Optima Tax Relief has a team of dedicated and experienced tax professionals with proven track records of success.    

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation 

Live Here, Work There. Where Do I Pay State Income Taxes? 

Live Here, Work There. Where Do I Pay State Income Taxes? 

After weeks or months of job seeking, you land your dream job — but it’s in a different state. The location of the job is close enough so that you can commute every day rather than move. However, you are still faced with the dilemma of where and how to pay state income taxes. Here’s what you should know if you live in one state but work in another. 

Understanding State Residency 

State residency is a key factor in determining tax obligations. Most states define residency based on the amount of time spent within their borders. Generally, if you spend a certain number of days within a state, you may be considered a resident for tax purposes. However, residency rules can vary significantly from state to state. 

Domicile vs. Statutory Residency 

Some states differentiate between domicile and statutory residency. Domicile typically refers to the place you consider your permanent home, while statutory residency is based on the number of days you spend in a state during the tax year, regardless of domicile. Understanding these distinctions is crucial for tax planning. 

State-specific Rules 

Each state has its own rules regarding residency and taxation. For example, some states, like California and New York, have strict guidelines for determining residency, while others, like Florida and Texas, have no state income tax, making residency less of a concern. 

Do I Pay State Income Taxes Where I Live Or Work?

The easy rule is that you must pay nonresident income taxes for the state in which you work and resident income taxes for the state in which you live, while filing income tax returns for both states. However, this general rule has several exceptions. One exception occurs when one state does not impose income taxes. Another exception occurs when a reciprocal agreement exists between the two states.  

States with No State Income Tax

As of 2023, there are currently nine states in the U.S. that have no state income tax: 

  • Alaska 
  • Florida 
  • Nevada 
  • South Dakota 
  • Tennessee 
  • Texas 
  • Washington 
  • Wyoming 

New Hampshire taxes only dividend and interest income.

States With Reciprocal Tax Agreements

What if you live in Milwaukee but you commute every day by Amtrak to Chicago? It just so happens that Wisconsin and Illinois share what is known as a reciprocal tax agreement. Reciprocal agreements allow residents of one state to work in neighboring states without having to file nonresident state tax returns in the state where they work. As a result, your employer would deduct only Wisconsin state taxes from your paycheck, and none for Illinois. Likewise, if you live in Chicago but work in Wisconsin, your employer will only deduct Illinois resident state income taxes from your paycheck. In both instances, you would only be required to file one state income tax return. 

States Without Reciprocal Tax Agreements

If you are unlucky enough to work across state lines in a state with no reciprocal agreement with your resident state, (for instance, Illinois and Indiana), then you will need to file income tax returns for both states. However, you should also be able to claim a credit on your resident state income tax return for the state income tax that you paid for the nonresident state. The result is that you actually pay taxes for one state, even though you must deal with the hassle of filing returns in both states. 

For example, let’s say you are an Arizona resident and you received rental income from an investment property in Utah. These two states do not have tax reciprocity. So, you report this income to Utah and pay the appropriate tax. When you file your Arizona state tax return, you’ll need to pay taxes on the rental income, but you will receive a credit for the taxes paid to Utah. 

It’s important to note that reciprocity is not automatic. You must file a request with your employer to deduct income taxes based on your state of residence rather than where you work. Unless you make a formal request with your employer, you will continue to be taxed by both states and you will continue to be obliged to file two state income tax returns

Filing Multi-State Income Tax Returns

Many people are faced with the dilemma of working in one state and living in another, meaning they need to file a nonresident state tax return. People living and working in two different states often delegate the task of filing state income tax returns to a tax preparation expert, an accountant, or a tax attorney. Still, know that many online and home-based tax preparation software programs include state income tax forms with detailed instructions on how to file multi-state tax returns. If your tax situation is otherwise straightforward, you can save yourself a considerable amount of money by using a software program that includes both state and federal income tax forms and filing your own income tax returns. 

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation 

What is an Offer in Compromise (OIC)?

What is an Offer in Compromise (OIC)?

Tax debts can be a significant burden, causing stress and financial strain for individuals and businesses alike. Fortunately, the IRS offers various options to help taxpayers settle their debts, one of which is known as an Offer in Compromise (OIC). An Offer in Compromise is a valuable tool that allows eligible taxpayers to settle their tax liabilities for less than the full amount owed. This article aims to provide a comprehensive overview of Offers in Compromise, including how they work, eligibility requirements, the application process, and their potential benefits. 

Offer in Compromise Eligibility Criteria 

Not everyone qualifies for an OIC. In fact, many taxpayers don’t. Only about a third of OICS were accepted in 2022. The IRS evaluates each case based on specific criteria. The IRS offers an online questionnaire to determine eligibility. Generally, taxpayers must meet the following conditions to be eligible for consideration: 

  • Inability to Pay in Full: You must demonstrate that you are unable to pay the full amount of taxes owed. This could be due to financial hardship, limited income, or substantial expenses.  
  • Doubt as to Collectability: There must be a genuine doubt regarding their ability to collect the tax owed, whether it be now or in the future. 
  • Doubt as to Liability: There must be a genuine dispute regarding the amount of tax owed. For example, if the taxpayer believes that the IRS has incorrectly assessed their tax liability, they may qualify for an Offer in Compromise based on doubt as to liability. 

In addition to the above, you must be current on your tax filings and estimated payments. You must not be in an open bankruptcy proceeding. You must have a valid extension for the current year’s tax return (if applying for the current year). Finally, if you’re an employer, you must be up to date on all your tax deposits for the past 2 quarters. 

The Application Process 

Applying for an Offer in Compromise involves several steps, and it’s essential to follow the process carefully to maximize the chances of acceptance. The key steps typically include the following. 

Reviewing Eligibility 

Taxpayers should carefully review the eligibility criteria and ensure that they meet the necessary requirements before applying.  

Gathering Documentation 

The IRS requires extensive documentation to support the offer, including details of income, expenses, assets, and liabilities. Taxpayers must gather and submit all relevant financial information as part of their application. This part of the process is extremely time-consuming and exhausting. It’s not uncommon for the IRS to receive several boxes of documentation to support OICs.  

Completing the Forms 

The IRS provides specific forms for submitting an Offer in Compromise, such as Form 656, Offer in Compromise. In addition, you’ll need to submit Form 433-A, Collection Information Statement for Wage Earners and Self-Employed Individuals, or Form 433-B, Collection Information Statement for Businesses. Taxpayers must complete these forms accurately and honestly, providing all requested information. Any bit of misinformation can result in rejection.  

Submitting the Offer 

Once the forms and supporting documentation are complete, taxpayers can submit their Offer in Compromise to the IRS along with the required $205 application fee and initial payment. The initial payment will depend on the payment option you choose, as well as your actual offer. When you select the Lump Sum Cash option, you’ll need to submit 20% of the total offer amount with your application. If your offer is accepted, you’ll need to pay the remaining balance within 5 payments or less.  

If you select the Period Payment option, you’ll need to submit an initial payment. You’ll need to make monthly installment payments while the IRS reviews your OIC. If the IRS accepts your offer, you will need to continue making these monthly payments until the balance is paid in full. 

Waiting for Review 

After receiving the offer, the IRS will review the application to determine its validity and whether the proposed settlement amount is acceptable. This process can take several months, during which the IRS may request additional information or clarification. 

Acceptance or Appeal 

If the IRS finds the offer acceptable, they will issue a formal acceptance, and the taxpayer must fulfill the terms of the agreement to settle their tax debt. If they reject the offer, you may appeal within 30 days using Form 13711, Request for Appeal of Offer in Compromise.  

Understanding Offers in Compromise 

An Offer in Compromise is essentially a settlement agreement between a taxpayer and the IRS. It enables taxpayers to resolve their tax debt by paying an amount that is less than the total amount owed. The IRS considers an OIC as a legitimate option for taxpayers who are unable to pay their full tax liability or if doing so would cause significant financial hardship. However, taxpayers should be aware of the OIC process. 

  • Any payments you submit with your application are non-refundable, even if the IRS rejects your offer. These payments are applied to your tax liability.  
  • During the review process, the IRS will suspend collection activities. However, they can still file a Notice of Federal Tax Lien. 
  • Submitting an OIC will extend your Collection Statute Expiration Date (CSED). This date is used to determine how long the IRS can legally collect from you. 
  • If you submit an OIC while you have an open installment agreement with the IRS, you may stop making payments on your installment agreement while your OIC is under review.  
  • Your OIC is accepted if the IRS does not decide within two years of receiving the application. This does not include appeal periods. 

Need Help with an OIC? Call Optima Tax Relief 

Offers in Compromise represent a valuable option for taxpayers struggling with unpaid tax liabilities. By allowing eligible individuals and businesses to settle their debts for less than the full amount owed, Offers in Compromise can provide a lifeline to those facing financial hardship or significant disputes regarding their tax liabilities. However, navigating the application process can be complex, and it’s essential for taxpayers to understand the eligibility criteria, gather necessary documentation, and follow the process carefully. For taxpayers burdened by tax debt, an Offer in Compromise may provide the opportunity for a fresh start and a brighter financial future. Optima Tax Relief has a team of dedicated and experienced tax professionals with proven track records of success.   

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation 

Are Employee Stock Options Considered Income?

Are Employee Stock Options Considered Income?

Employee stock options (ESOs) have long been a cornerstone of compensation packages offered by companies. They are particularly common in the realm of technology and startups. ESOs represent a unique opportunity for employees to share in the success of the company they work for. They allow employees to potentially reap significant financial rewards as the company grows. However, amidst the allure of potential wealth, a critical question looms: Are employee stock options considered income? 

What Are Employee Stock Options? 

Employee stock options (ESOs) are a form of compensation commonly offered by companies to their employees. They grant employees the right to purchase a specified number of shares of company stock at a predetermined price within a designated period of time. This price is known as the exercise or strike price. These options typically vest over time. This basically mean that employees become eligible to exercise them in increments as they fulfill certain conditions. These can include remaining with the company for a certain number of years. When discussing ESOs, there are two main types that are often seen. These are incentive stock options (ISOs) and non-qualified stock options (NSOs). You may also hear about restricted stock units (RSUs). However, RSUs are technically not options and therefore, do not need to be exercised. 

Incentive Stock Options (ISOs) 

ISOs are typically offered to employees as part of a qualified stock option plan. They are subject to specific rules outlined by the IRS. If certain requirements are met, the gains from ISOs may qualify for favorable tax treatment. This is important because it could mean it is taxed at the lower capital gains rate rather than the ordinary income tax rate. One example is holding the stock for a specified period after exercise,

How Are Incentive Stock Options Taxed? 

When ISOs are granted to an employee, there are no tax implications. The employee does not recognize income at this stage. When an employee exercises their ISOs by purchasing the underlying stock at the exercise price, no taxes are owed. However, the spread between the exercise price and the fair market value of the stock on the date of exercise (known as the “bargain element”) may be subject to the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) in the year of exercise. Once you exercise an ISO, your employer must file Form 3921, Exercise of an Incentive Stock option plan under Section 422(b). Further, you may receive Form 3922, Transfer of Stock Acquired Through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. This form helps determine your gain or loss, plus whether it is capital or ordinary income. 

How to Minimize Taxes on ISOs 

To qualify for favorable tax treatment, the employee must hold the shares acquired through the exercise of ISOs for a certain period of time. This timeline begins at least two years from the date of grant and one year from the date of exercise. If these holding period requirements are met, any gain or loss from the sale of the stock is treated as a capital gain or loss for regular income tax purposes. 

When the shares acquired through the exercise of ISOs are sold, the employee may be subject to either short-term or long-term capital gains tax. Which one depends on the holding period. If the shares are held for more than one year after exercise and two years from the date of grant, any gain is typically treated as a long-term capital gain. That said, it will be taxed at the applicable long-term capital gains tax rate. This is important because it is generally lower than the ordinary income tax rate. 

Non-Qualified Stock Options (NSOs) 

NSOs, also known as non-statutory stock options, do not qualify for the same tax treatment as ISOs. They are more flexible for companies to offer, as they are not subject to the same strict IRS regulations. However, NSOs are subject to ordinary income tax. The tax is on the difference between the exercise price and the fair market value of the stock at the time of exercise. 

How Are Non-Qualified Stock Options Taxed? 

Like ISOs, there are no tax implications when NSOs are granted to an employee. When an employee exercises their NSOs by purchasing the underlying stock at the exercise price, the spread between the fair market value of the stock on the exercise date and the exercise price is considered ordinary income for tax purposes. This amount is typically subject to federal income tax, as well as FICA taxes. It may be subject to state and local income taxes as well.  

How to Minimize Taxes on NSOs 

After exercising NSOs, employees may choose to hold onto the acquired shares or sell them. Any subsequent gain or loss upon the sale of the stock is treated as a capital gain or loss. If the shares are held for more than one year after exercise, any gain is typically treated as a long-term capital gain. Therefore, it is taxed at the long-term capital gains tax rate. As mentioned, this is generally lower than the ordinary income tax rate. If the shares are sold before one year from the exercise date, any gain is typically treated as a short-term capital gain. Short-term capital gains are taxed at the ordinary income tax rate. 

NSOs do not trigger the same AMT implications as ISOs upon exercise. However, the income recognized upon exercise may still impact an employee’s AMT calculation for the year. Employers are usually required to withhold taxes on the ordinary income recognized upon the exercise of NSOs. The amount withheld is based on the fair market value of the stock on the exercise date and the employee’s ordinary income tax rate. 

Tax Help for Employee Stockholders 

In conclusion, employee stock options are generally considered a form of compensation and subject to taxation. However, the timing and method of taxation can vary depending on the type of options granted and the specific circumstances. It’s essential for employees to seek guidance to ensure they fully understand the implications of their stock options. This will also allow them to make informed decisions regarding their exercise and taxation. Optima Tax Relief has a team of dedicated and experienced tax professionals with proven track records of success.   

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation 

Who Must Pay Additional Medicare Tax?

Who Must Pay Additional Medicare Tax?

Medicare is a vital program in the United States, providing health insurance coverage to millions of seniors and certain individuals with disabilities. To fund Medicare, various taxes are levied, including the Medicare tax. However, there’s an additional 0.9% Medicare tax that targets higher-income earners. Understanding who must pay this additional tax is crucial for both employees and employers alike. 

Who is Subject to Additional Medicare Tax? 

The Additional Medicare Tax is an extra tax that certain individuals must pay on top of the regular Medicare tax. This tax came into effect in 2013 as part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) to pay for free health services, such as vaccines, preventative care, health screenings, as well as some drug coverage costs. The tax applies to earned income, including wages, salaries, tips, and bonuses. It also applies to self-employment income railroad retirement (RRTA) compensation. However, RRTA compensation and wages are not combined to determine the Additional Medicare Tax. The key question then becomes: Who is subject to this additional tax? 

Individuals with Higher Incomes 

If you earn above a certain threshold from a single employer, you’re liable for the Additional Medicare Tax. As of 2024, the threshold remains the same as it was when the tax was introduced in 2013. For single filers, the threshold is $200,000, and for married couples filing jointly, it’s $250,000. For married couples filing separately, the threshold is $125,000. If your income exceeds these thresholds, you’re subject to the additional 0.9% tax. 

How is the Additional Medicare Tax Withheld? 

Employers play a crucial role in ensuring the correct withholding of the Additional Medicare Tax for their employees. When an employee’s wages reach $200,000 in a calendar year, the employer must withhold an additional 0.9% on all earnings above that threshold. However, this withholding is only applicable to Medicare wages. Medicare wages include total wages minus some benefit deductions, including insurance premiums, health savings account contributions, and dependent care FSA contributions. Employers will withhold regardless of your filing status and even if you won’t need to pay the additional Medicare tax during tax time.  

Self-employed individuals are responsible for paying the entire Additional Medicare Tax themselves. This means they need to calculate and remit the tax on their own when filing their income tax return. For self-employed individuals, the threshold is based on their net self-employment income rather than gross income. Finally, taxpayers should note that the Additional Medicare Tax is not deductible. 


Let’s say Spouse A earned $210,000 and Spouse B earned $20,000 in a year. Their joint income would be $230,000. While this amount does not meet the joint filing threshold of $250,000, Spouse A would still have the additional Medicare tax withheld once they’ve earned $200,000. Any additional taxes withheld are applied to their taxes when they file their return.  

Now, let’s say Spouse A earned $180,000 and Spouse B earned $100,000. Their combined income of $280,000 is over the joint filing threshold. However, neither would get the chance to have the additional Medicare tax withheld. In this case, they would need to make estimated tax payments or request additional withholding from their employer on their Form W-4.  

Importance of Compliance 

It’s essential for both employees and employers to understand and comply with the regulations regarding the Additional Medicare Tax. Failure to withhold or pay the correct amount of tax can result in penalties and interest charges. Employers must ensure accurate payroll withholding, while self-employed individuals need to calculate and remit the tax correctly to avoid any issues with the IRS. 

Tax Help for High-Income Earners 

The Additional Medicare Tax is aimed at ensuring higher-income individuals contribute more to the Medicare program. It applies to both employees and self-employed individuals whose earnings exceed certain thresholds. Understanding who must pay this tax and how it’s calculated is crucial for complying with tax obligations and avoiding penalties. Employers and employees alike must ensure accurate withholding, while self-employed individuals should carefully calculate and remit the tax when filing their returns. Compliance with the Additional Medicare Tax regulations helps support the sustainability of the Medicare program for future generations. Optima Tax Relief has a team of dedicated and experienced tax professionals with proven track records of success who may be able to help with your state tax issues.  

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation 

IRS Collections Are Back. Will You Be Affected?

The IRS has resumed collections. If you recently received an IRS notice or owe back taxes, you could be at risk of a lien, levy, garnishment, or other means of tax collection. Optima CEO David King and Lead Tax Attorney Philip Hwang provide helpful insight on what your IRS notice means, what you need to do to avoid penalties and interest and how to get compliant with the IRS.

Contact Us Today for a No-Obligation Free Consultation 

14 States That Cut Their Income Tax Rates in 2024

14 States That Cut Their Income Tax Rates in 2024

In a move signaling a significant shift in fiscal policy, 14 states across the United States implemented cuts to individual income taxes in 2024. This development comes as states reassess their tax structures amid changing economic landscapes and evolving political priorities. Here’s a breakdown of the 14 states that cut their income tax rates in 2024.  

Which States Cut Their Tax Rate? 

The decision to reduce individual income taxes reflects a broader trend among state governments. They are aiming to stimulate economic growth, attract investment, and provide relief to taxpayers. The states undertaking these tax cuts span various regions, indicating a diverse range of approaches to fiscal policy. 

Among the states implementing income tax cuts are Arkansas, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, and South Carolina. For residents of these states, the impending tax cuts offer the prospect of increased disposable income and potentially bolstered economic activity. 


Governor Sanders signed the latest Arkansas tax cut bill into law on September 14, 2023. It decreases the state’s highest income tax rate from 4.7% to 4.4%. This adjustment follows a prior reduction from 4.9% in April 2023. Arkansas taxpayers who earn over $87,000 will reap the benefits of this tax break. In addition, the corporate tax rate was reduced from 5.1% to 4.8% for those earning over $11,000.  


On January 1, 2024, Connecticut implemented its first income tax rate reduction since the mid-1990s. Additionally, it was the largest cut in state history. The state’s progressive tax structure saw decreases in the two lowest rates. Single filers now pay 2% on the first $10,000 earned and 4.5% on the next $40,000, down from 3% and 5% respectively. Joint filers now pay 2% on the first $20,000 earned and 4.5% on the next $80,000, down from 3% and 5% respectively. 


Georgia Governor Brian Kemp signed HB 1437 into law on April 26, 2022. It replaced the state’s graduated personal income tax with a flat rate of 5.49% starting January 1, 2024. Subsequent gradual reductions will bring the flat rate down to 4.99% by January 1, 2029. However, these reductions may be postponed by one year for each year that specific budget conditions are not fulfilled.  


Indiana’s House Bill 1001 speeds up the state’s scheduled rate cuts by lowering the individual income tax rate from 3.15% to 3.05% in 2024. It also removes related tax triggers associated with state revenue increases. The bill outlines additional reductions to 3.0% in 2025, 2.95% in 2026, and 2.9% from 2027 onwards. 


Iowa’s tax relief efforts persist in 2024. Corporate taxpayers will face a contingent flat tax plan with rates of 5.5% on income below $100,000 and 7.1% on income exceeding $100,000. Individual taxpayers will see a gradual move towards a flat income tax rate of 3.9% by 2026, with the top marginal tax rate reaching 5.7% in 2024. 


In February 2023, Kentucky passed House Bill 1. This bill lowers the state’s flat income tax rate from 4.5% to 4.0%, which took effect in 2024. 


The state implemented a single rate for individual tax purposes on income surpassing $10,000. In 2024, this rate will decrease to 4.7% from the initial rate of 5% established in 2023. The rate is scheduled to decrease to 4.0% by 2026. Additionally, the franchise tax is slated to diminish to zero by 2028. 


In July 2023, Missouri Governor Parson signed Senate Bill 190, eliminating the income threshold for deductibility and effectively exempting Social Security payments from state income tax. Consequently, federal Social Security payments will not be taxed. Additionally, for 2024, the top individual income tax rate was reduced to 4.8%, down from 4.95%. 


In 2021, Montana enacted Senate Bill 399, initiating changes to the state’s tax code effective in 2024. The law consolidated seven individual income tax brackets into two, lowering the top marginal rate from 6.75% to 6.5%. Additionally, in 2023, the legislature further reduced this rate to 5.9%. Montana will also implement lower tax rates for capital gains income, taxing them at either 3% or 4.1%. 


Nebraska expedited previously planned reductions to both individual and corporate tax rates, lowering the top marginal tax rate earlier than initially projected. For corporations, the aim is to achieve a flat income tax rate of 3.99% by 2027. In 2024, the top marginal tax rate will decrease from 7.25% to 5.84% on income exceeding $100,000. Similarly, for individual taxpayers, the goal is to reach a top rate of 3.99% by 2027. However, in 2024, this rate will be 5.84%, achieved three years ahead of schedule. 

New Hampshire 

Through S.B. 189, New Hampshire lawmakers have disconnected the state’s tax code from the federal business net interest limitation under IRC § 163(j), enabling businesses to fully deduct interest expenses in the year incurred. Additionally, taxpayers can now deduct any previously disallowed business interest expenses carryforwards over three years. The state’s budget (H.B. 2), enacted in June 2023, hastens the phaseout of the tax on interest and dividends income, now slated for elimination in 2025 instead of 2027. In 2024, the rate will be reduced to 3%, down from 4%. 

North Carolina 

The state’s budget, Session Law 2023-134, sets the individual income tax rate at 4.5% for 2024, down from 4.75%. Further reductions in subsequent years are dependent on meeting revenue targets. 


Ohio’s biennial budget, signed in July 2023, merges the top two marginal tax rates for individual income into a single rate of 3.5%, reduced from 3.75% in 2023. 

South Carolina 

In recent years, South Carolina has lowered personal income tax rates from 7% in 2022 to 6.5% in 2023. It reduced its top individual income tax rate to 6.4% in 2024. Further, the state aims to decrease the tax by .1% each year until it is 6%. However, this will be contingent upon revenue triggers. 

Implications of State Income Tax Cuts 

While the implementation of income tax cuts is poised to deliver tangible benefits to residents and businesses in these states, it also raises pertinent questions about revenue implications and budgetary trade-offs. Policymakers must navigate these challenges adeptly to ensure that tax cuts are sustainable and do not compromise essential public services or fiscal stability. For instance, in 2012, Kansas cut income tax rates by nearly a third and almost eliminated business taxes hoping for a rejuvenated economy. Unfortunately, this resulted in the need to cut some social services and the cuts were eventually reversed. 

Moreover, the efficacy of income tax cuts in stimulating economic growth and generating long-term prosperity remains a subject of debate among economists and policymakers. While proponents argue that lower taxes incentivize work, investment, and entrepreneurship, skeptics caution against potential revenue shortfalls and widening income inequality. 

State Tax Help for Taxpayers 

The 14 states that cut their income tax rates in 2024 signal a significant development in state fiscal policy, with implications for residents, businesses, and policymakers alike. As these states embark on their respective tax relief efforts, the outcomes will be closely scrutinized, offering valuable insights into the interplay between taxation, economic growth, and public welfare in the United States. Optima Tax Relief has a team of dedicated and experienced tax professionals with proven track records of success who may be able to help with your state tax issues. You can contact one of our tax professionals to see if they can help in your state.  

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation 

Optima Newsletter – March 2024

optima newsletter header

Hoping for the Child Tax Credit? Don’t Wait to File

The U.S. House of Representatives has approved a bill that has the potential to grant families significant tax benefits. The aim is to strengthen tax breaks, offering substantial financial support to American households and leading to significant savings. Among the many items addressed in the bill is the expansion of the Child Tax Credit (CTC), a tax benefit designed to assist families with the cost of raising children. In this article, we’ll review the details of the CTC expansion and the next steps needed to pass the bill. 

Read More

Tax Tips and Updates for the 2024 Filing Season

Tax season is in full swing. With several filing options and a potentially larger Child Tax Credit to claim, there’s a lot to know before you file. Optima CEO David King and Lead Tax Attorney Philip Hwang provide a comprehensive guide for the 2024 tax filing season and show you how you can get the most when filing your tax return. 

Read More

An Overview of Estate & Inheritance Taxes

Sometimes after a loved one dies, we must deal with grief, funeral planning, and an estate. In some cases, we inherit assets from a deceased loved one. Unfortunately, not much in this life comes for free, and even the things we inherit can cost us. In this article, we will take a closer look at estate and inheritance taxes, including who is affected by them and how they work.  

Read More

What is the Kiddie Tax?

Navigating the complexities of taxes can be challenging for anyone. When it comes to families with children, there are additional considerations to be aware of. One such consideration is the IRS Kiddie Tax. This set of rules is specifically aimed at taxing unearned income of certain children at their parent’s tax rate. Understanding how the Kiddie Tax works is crucial for parents to effectively manage their tax liabilities. Let’s delve deeper into what the Kiddie Tax entails and how it might affect your family’s tax situation. 

Read More

What is the IRS Collection Statute of Limitations?

What is the IRS Collection Statute of Limitations?

They say that death and taxes are the only two certainties in life. However, taxes are only collectible for so long. The IRS Collection Statute of Limitations is a critical aspect of tax law that often confuses taxpayers and professionals alike. This statute dictates the timeframe within which the IRS can collect unpaid taxes. While it offers protection to taxpayers, navigating its complexities requires a nuanced understanding. Let’s delve into what the IRS Collection Statute of Limitations entails and its implications for taxpayers.

What is the IRS Collection Statute of Limitations? 

The IRS Collection Statute of Limitations is outlined in Section 6502 of the Internal Revenue Code. It establishes the timeframe during which the IRS can pursue the collection of unpaid taxes. Generally, the statute allows the IRS ten years from the date of assessment to collect the owed taxes.  

How Long is the IRS Collection Statute of Limitations? 

The IRS has a 10-year statute of limitations for tax collections, beginning when the IRS first assesses your tax liabilities. In other words, the IRS cannot collect tax debt that is older than 10 years. You should keep in mind that the first IRS notice you receive is not necessarily when your liabilities are assessed. Specifically, there is a Collection Statute Expiration Date (CSED), which marks the last day the IRS can collect tax debt. After the CSED, the IRS cannot legally collect your tax debt, which means that your tax debt essentially disappears.  

If you want to find your CSED, you can count 10 years from the date on your Notice of Federal Tax Lien. You can also request a transcript of your IRS account to find the date your liability was assessed and filed. However, keep in mind that there are several actions that can delay the statute of limitations, thus pushing out your CSED.   

Which Actions Extend a CSED? 

There are several qualifying events that can extend a CSED, including the following.  

Filing for Bankruptcy 

When an individual files for bankruptcy, the Collection Statute of Limitations is typically tolled, meaning it is paused or suspended for the duration of the bankruptcy proceedings. The IRS will pause the statute of limitations while your bankruptcy filing is pending, starting from the filing date until the court decides. The CSED will remain suspended for an additional six months.  

Living Abroad 

Living abroad can also have implications for the Collection Statute Expiration Date. The IRS will pause the statute of limitations while you live abroad for six consecutive months or longer. The CSED could remain suspended for six months after you return to the United States.  

Requesting an IRS Installment Agreement 

The IRS will pause the statute of limitations while it reviews your installment agreement application. If the agreement is rejected, the CSED will remain suspended for 30 more days. This is also the case if your installment agreement defaults. If you appeal your rejection, the CSED will remain suspended until a decision is final.  

Submitting an Offer in Compromise 

When you submit an Offer in Compromise (OIC) to the IRS, the CSED is typically tolled or suspended for the duration of the consideration period, which can last several months or even longer. Once a decision is made, the suspension ends. If your offer is rejected, your CSED will remain suspended for 30 more days.  

Requesting Innocent Spouse Relief 

When a taxpayer requests Innocent Spouse Relief, the CSED is typically tolled or suspended for the duration of the IRS’s consideration of the innocent spouse claim. However, the suspension will only apply to the spouse applying for relief. The IRS will extend the CSED until you either receive a waiver or the 90-day petition expires, whichever happens first. If you appeal the tax court decision, the statute of limitations will be suspended until a final decision is made. In any of the above case, the IRS will also extend the CSED an additional 60 days.  

Requesting a Collection Due Process (CDP) Hearing 

When a taxpayer requests a CDP hearing, the IRS generally suspends the CSED. The IRS will pause the statute of limitations while it reviews your request to stop a levy or remove a lien until a determination is made or until you withdraw your request. Additionally, if there are less than 90 days left in collections when a final decision is made, the IRS will extend the CSED 90 more days. 

Military Deferment 

A military deferment can also have implications for the Collection Statute Expiration Date. The IRS will pause the statute of limitations during military service and for an additional 270 days afterward. If you serve in a combat zone the CSED will be suspended for up to 180 days after military service.  

Being Sued By the IRS 

While this event rarely happens, the IRS will pause the statute of limitations during the court proceedings.  

Can I Ignore My Tax Debt Until the IRS Collection Statute Expires?  

You might be enticed to just wait out the IRS collection statute of limitations. However, this strategy is generally not recommended since it would mean ignoring your growing tax bill and IRS notices. Under these circumstances, simple actions like getting a job, purchasing a home, registering a vehicle, and operating a business would be very difficult. Working with the IRS will typically be your best option, but doing so alone can be tedious, intimidating, and stressful. Working with a credible and experienced tax relief company can help save time, money, and stress. Optima Tax Relief has over a decade of experience helping taxpayers get back on track with their tax debt. 

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation