June 15, 2022
Save yourself some time next tax season by learning about the IRS tax forms you’ll need to file. Use this page as a guide to help you understand the most common tax return forms.

Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement

The W-2 is one of the most common IRS tax forms for employed taxpayers. This form tracks how much you paid in taxes throughout the year, and how much you’ve earned. Employers withholding income for Medicare and Social Security are expected to issue a W-2 by the start of tax season (no later than January 31).

Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Certificate

You’ll receive Form W-4 to determine how much an employer should withhold from your paycheck for federal income tax. You should update this form as major life changes occur that will affect your filing status (such as marriage).

Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income

The miscellaneous income form is applicable to taxpayers that earn money from rent, royalties, and other income that involve large payments from individuals or entities. The IRS will provide Form 1099-MISC.

Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return

This form allows you to declare your filing status, apply standard deductions, claim credits, and most importantly, determines how much you owe the IRS.

Form 1040-SR, U.S. Tax Return for Seniors

This alternative option to the 1040 is simplified with enhanced readability for senior citizens. Ideally, seniors will be able to document their sources of income such as IRA distributions, Social Security, investment income and annuities, with much more ease.

Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments

This form is most common for filers that receive unemployment benefits. Unemployment is taxable income and must be reported in your annual tax return. Other government payments included in this form are taxable grants and payments from the Department of Agriculture.

Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement

College students will receive Form 1098-T for paying tuition expenses. As a student, you could qualify for tax credits and deductions when you file.

For More Assistance with IRS Tax Forms and Tax Debt

Optima’s tax professionals help a variety of cases with IRS compliance and tax debt relief. Clients are also able to enroll in our protection plan for account monitoring and filing services.

Give us a call at (800) 536-0734 for a free tax debt relief consultation today.