GET TAX HELP (800) 536-0734

Which States Have Tax Reciprocity? 

Which States Have Tax Reciprocity? 

If you live and work in two different states, which do you pay taxes to? State tax reciprocity is a cooperative agreement between two or more states that simplifies the tax obligations of individuals who work or live in multiple states. This arrangement alleviates the complexities associated with filing multiple state tax returns. Additionally, it reduces the administrative burden on taxpayers. In this article, we’ll discuss which states have tax reciprocity to make your multi-state filings as simple as possible. 

Understanding State Tax Reciprocity 

In the United States, each state has the authority to impose its own income tax on residents and non-residents. This can create challenges for individuals who live in one state but work in another, as they may be required to file tax returns in both states. To address these challenges, some states have entered into reciprocal agreements to simplify the tax process. 

Reciprocal agreements typically involve neighboring states and allow residents of one state who work in another to be taxed only by their state of residence. This means that income earned in the non-resident state is not subject to that state’s income tax. Instead, the taxpayer pays income tax only to their state of residence.  

States with Tax Reciprocity 

Several states in the U.S. have established tax reciprocity agreements. These include: 

If you work in… But live in… Exemption Form 
Arizona California, Indiana, Oregon, or Virgina Form WEC 
District of Columbia Anywhere other than District of Columbia Form D-4A 
Illinois Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, or Wisconsin IL-W-5-NR 
Indiana Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin WH-47 
Iowa Illinois 44-016 
Kentucky Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, or Wisconsin 42A809 
Maryland District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia MW 507 
Michigan Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, Ohio, or Wisconsin MI-W4 
Minnesota Michigan or North Dakota MWR 
Montana North Dakota MW-4 
New Jersey Pennsylvania NJ-165 
North Dakota Minnesota or Montana NDW-R 
Ohio Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia IT-4NR 
Pennsylvania Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, Virginia, or West Virginia REV-419 
Virginia District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia VA-4 
West Virginia Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Virginia WV/IT-104 NR 
Wisconsin Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, or Michigan W-220 

Tax Help for Those Who Live and Work in Different States 

State tax reciprocity provides a valuable solution for individuals navigating the complexities of working and living across state lines. By fostering cooperation between states, these agreements aim to simplify the tax process, reduce administrative burdens, and encourage cross-border employment. Taxpayers should stay informed about the specific details of reciprocal agreements and any changes in tax laws to ensure compliance and make the most of these streamlined tax arrangements. Optima Tax Relief is the nation’s leading tax resolution firm with over a decade of experience helping taxpayers with tough tax situations. 

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation