GET TAX HELP (800) 536-0734

Ask Phil: Tax Forms

Today, Optima Tax Relief’s Lead Tax Attorney, Phil Hwang, discusses the most common tax forms every taxpayer should know about. 

Tax Form 1040 or 1040-X 

The well-known U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, Form 1040 is what you will use to report both your income and deductions to determine your tax liability every tax year. Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, allows taxpayers to correct a previously submitted 1040, make specific elections after the tax deadline, or change an amount adjusted by the IRS.  

Tax Form W-2 

If you’ve ever earned money from an employer, you have probably received a W-2, Wage and Tax Statement. This critical document for wage earners includes your income earned in the previous year, as well as taxes withheld, and helps you file your federal and state tax returns. It may also include any benefits you received through your employer. If you changed jobs mid-year, worked more than one job as an employee, or if your employer was acquired by another company mid-year, you may receive multiple W-2s.  

Tax Form 1099-NEC 

A 1099-NEC will report your income earned as a freelancer or independent contractor. Businesses will distribute this form if they make payments to you totaling $600 or more. Non-employee income can also include fees, benefits, commissions, and other sources of income paid to you.  

Tax Form W-4 

Whenever you begin employment with a new employer, you will fill out a W-4, Employee’s Withholding Certificate. This form basically tells your employer how much taxes to withhold from your paycheck. Withholding too little can result in a big tax bill, while withholding too much can result in smaller than necessary paychecks. That said, it’s important to ensure that your withholding is always correct.  

Tax Form W-9 

Form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification, helps verify your tax information so your employer, or other paying entity, can report your earnings to the IRS. This form is for both employees and self-employed individuals.  

Don’t miss next week’s episode where Phil will discuss private collection agencies. See you next Friday! 

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation 

IRS Tax Form Library

irs tax forms

Did you know there are hundreds of IRS tax forms? Luckily, you’ll only need to know a handful of them if your tax situation is simple. However, because your tax situation can change year to year, it’s a good idea to learn about other common IRS tax forms you may not have used before. Here is a list of 50+ IRS tax forms you might need to file your taxes. 

Form 1040 and Schedules 

  • Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return: used by U.S. taxpayers to file an annual income tax return 
  • Form 1040-SR, U.S. Tax Return for Seniors: an optional alternative to using Form 1040 for taxpayers who are age 65 or older 
  • Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return: used to amend or fix a submitted tax return 
  • Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals: used to figure and pay your estimated tax 
  • Schedule A, Itemized Deductions: used to figure your itemized deductions 
  • Schedule B, Interest and Ordinary Dividends: used in some scenarios when you’ve earned taxable interest or dividends 
  • Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business (Sole Proprietorship): used to report income or losses from a business you operated or a profession you practiced as a sole proprietor 
  • Schedule D, Capital Gains and Losses: used to report capital gains and losses for the year 
  • Schedule E, Supplemental Income and Loss: used to report income or loss from rental real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporations, estates, trusts, and residual interests in real estate mortgage investment conduits (REMICs) 
  • Schedule EIC, Earned Income Credit: used to give the IRS information about your qualifying child(ren) 
  • Schedule F, Profit or Loss From Farming: used to report farm income and expenses 
  • Schedule H, Household Employment Taxes: used to report household employment taxes if you paid cash wages to a household employee and the wages were subject to social security, Medicare, or FUTA taxes, or if you withheld federal income tax 
  • Schedule J, Income Averaging for Farmers and Fishermen used to figure your income tax by averaging, over the previous 3 years, all or some of your taxable income from your farming or fishing business 
  • Schedule R, Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled: used to figure the credit for the elderly or the disabled 
  • Schedule SE, Self-Employment Tax: used to figure the tax due on net earnings from self-employment 
  • Schedule 8812, Credits for Qualifying Children and Other Dependents: used to figure your child tax credits 

Application Forms 

  • Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number: used to apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN), a nine-digit number assigned to sole proprietors, corporations, partnerships, estates, trusts and other entities for tax filing and reporting purposes 
  • Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return: used to request an automatic extension of time to file a U.S. individual income tax return 
  • Form 7004, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File Certain Business Income Tax, Information, and Other Returns: used to request an automatic 6-month extension of time to file certain business income tax, information, and other returns. 
  • Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number: used to apply for an IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) 

Income and Payment Reporting Forms 

  • Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement: used to report wages paid to employees and the taxes withheld from them 
  • Form 1098, Mortgage Interest Statement: used to report mortgage interest of $600 or more received by you during the year 
  • Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement: used to report tuition payments received and payments due from the paying student 
  • Form 1098-E, Student Loan Interest Statement: used to report the amount of interest you paid on student loans in a calendar year 
  • Form 1099-B, Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions: used to report any gains and losses from stock and bond transactions made throughout the tax year 
  • Form 1099-C, Cancellation of Debt: used to report canceled debt, which is generally considered taxable income 
  • Form 1099-DIV, Dividends and Distributions: used to report dividends and other distributions to taxpayers and to the IRS 
  • Form 1099-G, Certain Government Payments: used to report payments received from federal, state, or local governments, such as unemployment benefits, tax refunds, grants, etc. 
  • Form 1099-INT, Interest Income: used to report interest income you received, any taxes withheld, and if any of the interest is tax-exempt 
  • Form 1099-K, Payment Card and Third Party Network Transactions: used to report payments and transactions from online platforms, apps or payment card processors 
  • Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income: used to report miscellaneous compensation such as rents, prizes, medical payments, and others 
  • Form 1099-NEC, Nonemployee Compensation: used to report self-employment or contract work, such as freelance work or rideshare driving 
  • Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.: used to report distributions from annuities, profit-sharing plans, retirement plans, IRAs, insurance contracts, or pensions 
  • Form 1099-S, Proceeds from Real Estate Transactions: used to report the sale or exchange of real estate 

Business Forms 

  • Form 1120, U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return: used to report income, gains, losses, deductions, credits of domestic corporations. 
  • Form 1120-S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation: used to report the income, gains, losses, deductions, credits, etc., of a domestic corporation or other entity for any tax year covered by an election to be an S corporation 
  • Form 2106, Employee Business Expenses: used to deduct ordinary and necessary expenses for your job 
  • Form 4562, Depreciation and Amortization (Including Information on Listed Property): used to record the depreciation and amortization of property you’ve purchased for your business 
  • Form 8829, Expenses for Business Use of Your Home: used to figure the allowable expenses for business use of your home on Schedule C   
  • Form 941, Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return: used to report income taxes, Social Security tax, or Medicare tax withheld from employee’s paychecks 

Tax Resolution Forms 

  • Form 1127, Application for Extension of Time for Payment of Tax Due to Undue Hardship: used to request an extension of time under Internal Revenue Code section 6161 for payment of tax due 
  • Form 11277, Application for Withdrawal of Filed Form 668(Y), Notice of Federal Tax Lien: used to request a tax lien removal. 
  • Form 12153, Request for a Collection Due Process or Equivalent Hearing: used to request a Collection Due Process (CDP) or Equivalent Hearing (EH) with the IRS Independent Office of Appeals 
  • Form 433-A, Collection Information Statement for Wage Earners and Self-Employed Individuals: used to obtain current financial information necessary for determining how a wage earner or self-employed individual can satisfy an outstanding tax liability 
  • Form 433-B, Collection Information Statement for Businesses: used to obtain current financial information necessary for determining how a business can satisfy an outstanding tax liability 
  • Form 656, Offer in Compromise: used to apply for an Offer in Compromise (OIC) 
  • Form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement: used to claim a refund or request an abatement of certain taxes, interest, penalties, fees, and additions to tax 
  • Form 8857, Request for Innocent Spouse Relief: used to request relief from tax liability, plus related penalties and interest, when you believe only your spouse or former spouse should be held responsible for all or part of the tax 
  • Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance: used to request taxpayer assistance if you have been unable to resolve your tax issues through normal channels 
  • Form 9423, Collection Appeal Request: used to request an appeal of a notice of federal tax lien, levy, seizure, or termination of an installment agreement. 
  • Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request: used to request a monthly installment plan if you cannot pay the full amount you owe shown on your tax return 

Tax forms can be difficult to understand on your own. If you need tax help, the experts at Optima Tax Relief can assist. With over a decade of experience helping taxpayers, Optima is equipped to take on the most complicated tax situations. 

Contact Us Today for a No-Obligation Free Consultation 

Tax Forms for Self-Employed Individuals

tax forms for self-employed individuals

Filing taxes when you are self-employed can be very complex. There are plenty of factors involved, from figuring out how much you earned to adding up your business expenses. One of the ways you can better prepare yourself for the filing season is to ensure you have all the correct and relevant tax forms.  

Form 1040 

Most people will be familiar with Form 1040 since it’s the one that taxpayers submit to report their taxable income. Using your gross income and the credits and deductions you can claim, the form helps calculate the amount of tax you owe or the refund you will receive. Typically, an individual will be required to file Form 1040 if they meet certain gross income thresholds according to their filing status and age. For example, single filers under age 65 are required to file Form 1040 for 2022 if their gross income was at least $12,950. However, self-employed individuals follow different filing requirements. If you are self-employed and have net earnings of at least $400, you must file an income tax return.  

Schedule C 

A Schedule C, also known as a Business Profit and Loss Form, helps anyone with self-employed income report their gross business income and expenses. Self-employed income is basically all sources of income that do not come from a W-2. Income from your small business, gig work, or side hustles should be reported with a Schedule C, typically one form for every individual business activity you are involved in, unless they fall into the same category. For example, if you have an Etsy shop and deliver for both Uber Eats and DoorDash, you’ll likely fill out two Schedule C forms, one for your Etsy shop and one for both driving services.  

While most of the categories on Schedule C are self-explanatory, some can be quite difficult to calculate. You probably received at least one 1099 if you collected payment for your self-employed work. You can use these to add up your income. You’ll be able to deduct any returns or refunds given during the year, auto expenses if you use your vehicle for business use, and the cost of goods sold. Calculating your expenses can be the trickiest part of filing for self-employed taxpayers, so it’s probably best to discuss this with a qualified tax preparer.  

Form 4562 

Form 4562 is used to depreciate or amortize your business assets. This can include buildings, machinery, equipment, vehicles, and patents. You may not depreciate land. Taxpayers must file a separate Form 4562 for each depreciation or amortization deduction being claimed.  

Form 8829 

If you plan to deduct your home office expenses, you’ll need to file Form 8829, Expenses for Business Use of Your Home. Remember you can only claim the home office deduction for areas in your home used exclusively for business and if it is your principal place of business. Typical deductions include insurance, rent, utilities, repairs and maintenance, home depreciation, deductible mortgage interest. However, you may only deduct the portion that is used for business use only. For example, if you use 15% of your home’s square footage exclusively for business use, you may deduct 15% of your home expenses for a business deduction.  

Schedule SE 

Schedule SE is used to calculate your self-employment taxes to determine your Social Security benefits. You’ll only need to file a single Schedule SE, even if you have multiple businesses. You would simply combine your net earnings on a single form. However, married couples filing jointly who both earn self-employed income should file separate Schedule SE forms. 

Tax Relief for Self-Employed Individuals 

Filing taxes when self-employed can be very complicated, especially if done on your own. Because there are several business expenses that can be exaggerated, the IRS typically takes a closer look at deductions claimed by self-employed individuals, leading to more audits. It may be best to seek the help of a credible tax preparer or professional to look at your tax situation. Give Optima a call at 800-536-0734 for a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable tax professionals.