GET TAX HELP (800) 536-0734

Filing Taxes When Married to a Non-U.S. Citizen

Filing Taxes When Married to a Non-U.S. Citizen

Marriage can introduce complexity when it comes to filing taxes. When you’re married to a non-U.S. citizen, your tax situation may require additional consideration. In this article, we’ll explore the key factors to consider and offer guidance on how to navigate the U.S. tax system as a couple with mixed citizenship. 

Determine Your Filing Status 

The first step in filing taxes as a couple with a non-U.S. citizen spouse is to determine your filing status. Typically, the IRS does not allow you to file single if you are married. However, the rules can vary when married to a nonresident alien. You have three filing status options when married to a non-U.S. citizen. 

Married Filing Separately 

Like other married couples, you have the option of filing separately. However, this does come with the same missed opportunities that lie with filing jointly. For example, you won’t be able to claim certain tax credits and deductions. In addition, the tax brackets are not as advantageous as those associated with a joint return. Unfortunately, this may be the only option for some couples. 

Married Filing Jointly 

The IRS does not allow you to file a joint return with your non-resident spouse unless you make an election to treat your spouse as a U.S. resident for tax purposes. This begins with your spouse obtaining an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) if they are unable to get a Social Security Number (SSN).  

In most cases, married filing jointly is the more advantageous choice, as it often leads to lower tax liability and more tax benefits. However, it does come with additional responsibilities. For example, you will need to file a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) as well as IRS Form 8938, Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets. These forms help give the IRS a full picture of your combined foreign assets.  

Head of Household 

One option most married couples don’t have is to file as head of household instead of one of the married statuses. However, you can only do this if you opt to not treat your nonresident spouse as a U.S. resident for tax purposes. You must pay more than half the cost of maintaining your household for qualified dependents (not including your spouse). Finally, your dependent must have a valid SSN or ITIN. If you can achieve this status, it might be most beneficial as it will come with lower tax rates and better deductions.  

Consider the Foreign Tax Credit 

In some cases, your non-U.S. citizen spouse may be subject to double taxation—having to pay taxes in both the U.S. and their home country. To mitigate this issue, you can explore the Foreign Tax Credit. This credit allows you to offset U.S. tax liability with taxes paid to a foreign country. To claim the Foreign Tax Credit, you typically need to complete IRS Form 1116 (for individuals) or IRS Form 1118 (for corporations). You must provide documentation to prove the foreign taxes paid, such as foreign tax returns and receipts. Consult with a tax professional to determine if this credit applies to your situation. 

Report Foreign Income and Assets 

When you file jointly, both you and your non-U.S. citizen spouse are required to report your foreign income to the IRS. This includes income earned both inside and outside the United States. Accurate reporting is essential, as failing to do so can lead to penalties. The IRS requires U.S. citizens and residents to report foreign financial accounts and assets if their aggregate value exceeds certain thresholds. While this mainly applies to U.S. citizens, it’s essential for non-U.S. citizen spouses to be aware of these reporting requirements if they have ownership in foreign assets. 

Consult a Tax Professional 

Navigating the U.S. tax system when married to a non-U.S. citizen can be complex and challenging. To ensure compliance and optimize your tax situation, it’s highly recommended to consult with a qualified tax professional who specializes in international taxation. They can provide guidance tailored to your specific circumstances, ensuring that you don’t miss out on valuable deductions and credits while remaining compliant with U.S. tax laws. 


Filing taxes when married to a non-U.S. citizen can be a nuanced process, but with careful consideration, proper documentation, and the guidance of a tax professional, you can manage your tax obligations effectively. Remember that tax laws and regulations can change, so it’s essential to stay informed and up to date on any updates that may affect your unique situation. By doing so, you can navigate the U.S. tax system as a mixed-citizenship couple with confidence and peace of mind. Optima Tax Relief is the nation’s leading tax resolution firm with over $1 billion in resolved tax liabilities. 

If You Need Tax Help, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation