GET TAX HELP (800) 536-0734

Ask Phil: Tax Extensions

Today, Optima Tax Relief’s Lead Tax Attorney, Phil Hwang, breaks down tax extensions. Can anyone file a tax extension? When is the deadline to file?  

A tax extension is an additional 6-month period the IRS grants a taxpayer to file their tax return. It is not an extension to pay your taxes. That said, failure to pay your taxes by the original due date will result in a Failure to Pay penalty. The Failure to Pay penalty is currently 0.5% of your unpaid tax bill for every month or partial month the tax remains unpaid, up to a maximum of 25% of your tax bill. 

Anyone can file a tax extension, including individuals and businesses. However, you must file your tax extension before the original due date of the return. If you don’t, your return will be considered late, and you will begin to incur penalties and interest.  

If you’re an individual who is trying to file a tax extension, you’ll need to file IRS Form 4868, also known as the Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. As a business, you will need to file IRS Form 7004, which is the Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File Certain Business Income Tax, Information, and Other Returns. 

Next week, Phil will discuss how to mitigate or remove IRS penalties and interest. See you next Friday! 

If You Need Help Filing a Tax Extension, Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation